Thursday, January 24, 2008

Big Day Out Eve

Big news in from the Big Day Out camp, Bjork has cancelled her appearance at the festival, after doctors advised her that her vocal chords swelling up following her performance at the Sydney Festival last night.

The organisers are offering a full refund for those who want it, which is pretty cool of them.

Personally, I have seen Bjork before, at the Hammersmith Apollo in London. It was a small, intimate gig, where she was accompanied by her two DJ's and a string quartet. It was just after she released Vespertine, and it was a brilliant concert. I was planning on skipping Bjork at the Big Day Out, so I didn't ruin my serene impression of her music - I just felt that a Big Day Out mainstage wouldn't do her justice.

Anyway, that is a dilemma that I don't need to worry about anymore. All of the acts on the mainstage are moving up one slot now, which throws out a few more schedule conflicts - namely Arcade Fire and Karnivool - two bands I had in my must see category.

So, here is the plan for tomorrow....

1. Finally complete my goal of seeing all of my all time favourite bands live (the last piece in the puzzle being Rage Against the Machine)
2. Don't get killed in the RATM pit
3. Don't let the idiot 15 year old kids (who have only recently jumped on the RATM bandwagon and probably have no understanding of their music or their message, and think that a Zapatista is some kind of Mexican food) ruin my day
4. Leave it all behind in the pit - there's nothing like bouncing up and down with 60,000 of your newest 'single serving friends'

Here is my list of my 'must see bands' for the day, together with some hopefuls. The must see's are easy: Rage Against the Machine, Arcade Fire, Enter Shikari, Karnivool (now not possible). The hopefuls are: Silverchair, Billy Bragg and Tom Morello. I reckon I'll get to see most of them.

Anyway, I'll update tomorrow with the BDO 08 review. Stay tuned....

No comments: